These are Dr. Garber's three intuitive, sensitive and experienced assistant therapists, Kali, Keyara and Tira Misu. Horses are uniquely equipped with Mirror Neurons in their brains, which enables them to assess a person's level of fear, trust, sadness, confidence - and much more -very quickly and very accurately. The horse immediately reflects back their reading of these levels more accurately than most people's own awareness. There is no riding involved. No experience with horses is needed. For more information on how it works read below - The Benefits of Equine Assisted Growth and Learning. To learn more or see a video of Equine Assisted Therapy go to http://www.eagala.org, website for Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association.
For Business Owners and Group Leaders
- Are you bored with 1990s' ropes courses or group brainstorming sessions?
- Are you looking for a fun and engaging way to energize your staff or group?
- How would it be to attend a workshop experience specifically individualized for the needs and concerns you see in your group?
- Would you like the help of a Ph.D. professional in assessing the strengths and weaknesses of your team?
- How helpful would it be if an experienced professional could help you assess your team, address needed changes and follow-up with a professional evaluation suggesting future goals?
- What if this professional had over three decades of experience in group dynamics, organization consulting and was fully licensed and certified?
- Would you enjoy seeing your team be challenged to use more helpful skills right then and there?
- Would you like for this opportunity to happen in a peaceful, private and safe country setting just 25 miles from the Metroplex?
- If you are interested in this experience for your team, please contact Dr. Garber. See contact information below.
For Individuals, Couples and Families
- Do you greatly value personal growth and psychotherapy, but think you may have hit a plateau in traditional talk therapy?
- Would you like to learn even more about your patterns, relationships and issues in a fun experiential setting?
- Would you like the chance to discover personal trends and begin changing them at the same time?
- Do you think there is just something special about horses?
- Would you like to be casual and kick up a little dirt?
- To make an appointment to experience this powerful work, please contact Dr. Garber. .See contact information below.
For Mental Health Professionals
- Did you know increasingly more residential and outpatient treatment centers are adding Equine Assisted therapy as an powerful adjunct to talk therapy?
- Do you feel "stuck" or confused with any case?
- Would you like professional staffing and consulting to gain a new perspective on a client(s)?
- Would it benefit you to see your client in an experiential setting?
- Could you benefit from the client returning to you with a clinical assessment and recommendations for future treatment?
Benefits of Equine Assisted Growth and Learning
- Promotes creative thinking and problem solving
- Teaches non-verbal communication and improved relationship skills
- Encourages team work, leadership, responsibility and ethical awareness
- Stimulates the brain's nueroplasticity
- Gives expression to internalized feelings in a non-threatening manner
- Gently reduces defenses
- Provides insight about our daily coping skills
- Allows risk taking with regard to trust, fear and assertiveness
- Promotes being "in the moment"
- Encourages focused concentration
- Enhances relaxation and anxiety reduction
Addresses many issues including perfectionism, anger, maturity fears, post traumatic stress, forgiveness, overcoming obstacles, body image, drive for thinness, improved self-care and the ability to ask for help
Staff's Training, Experience and Credentialing
Dr. Carla Garber is a highly respected psychotherapist with over 30 years experience as a Licensed Professional Counselor vetted by the State of Texas Board of Examiners of Licensed Professional Counselors. She is a certified member in good standing with Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association (EAGALA). Dr. Garber was first introduced to this genre in 2001 at an international conference. By participating in an exercise, she gained an awareness that she might never have in traditional therapy because the being around the horses SHOWED a self-defeating pattern she was currently engaged in! Since 2001, she has attended countless workshops, level trainings, national conferences and has visited many treatment sites in the country to view other programs' Equine Assisted therapy in action. She is fully insured as an LPC and Equine Therapist and meets the requirements for continuing education for skills and ethics. For added safety, a trained Equine Specialist is available to specifically monitor the horse's behavior.
Carla Garber, Ph.D., L.P.C., Certified EAGALA Therapist
Fees For Equine Assisted Growth and Learning
Individual Therapy: $150.00 per hour (You can file your receipt with your Insurance Provider.)
Couples and Families: $ 175.00 per hour
Business Groups or Other Organizations:
$500 per half day workshop (2 to 3 hours) Includes Initial Assessment, Follow-Up Summary, drinks and snacks.
$900 per full day (5 to 6 hours) Includes Assessment, Follow-Up Summary, drinks and snacks. The organization may serve catered lunch, indoors or outdoors, if desired. Or participants may bring sack lunches.
What to Bring and Wear
You may wear casual and comfortable clothes. Please wear closed toed shoes that can get dusty. Please bring extra layers, jackets and coats in Fall, Winter and Spring as temperature can vary. The exercises with the horse(s) occur in a covered arena. We use a small cottage building for group discussions, journaling and shelter from sudden bad weather. Drinks and snacks will be provided. You are welcomed to bring your own non-alcoholic drinks and snacks, but please leave snacks in the car as horses can smell food in pockets and purses!
Inclement Weather Policy
We are happy to reschedule any session or workshop because of uncomfortable cold, heat, storms or predicted storms. We reserve the right to reschedule if temperatures and wind chill ratings are below 50 degrees and above 100 degrees.
Map to Site - 400 Forrest Lane, Joshua, TX
See bottom of the page.